pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Help understanding classpaths/codebase with applets
Date Tue, 22 Jun 2010 20:26:01 GMT
> 2) What if I want to change the logging configuration?  I would need to A)
> extract the xml file B) Make my changes C) update the jar.  Now I will have
> issues with it being unsigned.  I would need to resign the jar.

You'd need to regenerate your JARs for sure, but if your build script is set up right that
shouldn't be a huge problem. For example, the last project I did used Ant to assemble the
JSPs, applets, etc. into a WAR file. We simply ran "ant deploy" to regenerate the WAR and
redeployed it to the server. Ant was also used to sign the JARs before putting them into the
WAR file.

> What do you think about this though?...  I have a jsp that starts my applet.
> Could I have the jsp read the xml file, and pass the content in as an
> argument?  Is there any restrictions on length here?

You could probably do something like that, but it does seem a little clunky. Also, how would
you pass the XML to Log4J? Unfortunately, I don't know enough about Log4J to know what might
work best...  :-(