In case you do end up working on it, there is already a ticket for this in JIRA:

On May 10, 2010, at 4:00 PM, Robert Piotrowski wrote:

When I get some free time at work, I might look into making a formatted textarea that accepts markup in xhtml or xml.  I don't have the stomach for piecing together labels to create formatted text.

Or maybe I'm just too old for that....

Bob