pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Newbie Apache Pivot Evaluation
Date Mon, 17 May 2010 13:04:09 GMT
Binaries should be released fairly soon. However, you can build it from source now:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/pivot/trunk/

Build notes are here:

On May 17, 2010, at 3:23 AM, java programmer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Sorry Clint.
>
> Actually, my company is looking into some really flashy UI like provided by Flex.
> When is pivot version 1.5 expected to be released?
>
> Best Regards,
> Prithvi
>
> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 3:50 AM, Clint Gilbert <clint_gilbert@hms.harvard.edu>
wrote:
> Indeed.  WTKX is not not my cup of tea, but plenty of people use it and
> like it.  I appreciate that you can use Java, XML, or a mixture with Pivot.
>
> Greg Brown wrote:
> > While Clint makes some great points about code completion and refactoring, I would
still encourage you to take a look at WTKX. It can really help simplify the task of constructing
a complex GUI.

> > On May 16, 2010, at 1:53 PM, java programmer wrote:
> >
> > Hello Greg,
> >
> > Thank you very much. I think so i will be using the complete Java source code rather
then
> > using WTKX files as you suggested. I will design the application on paper and then
start
> > coding, will surely be needing your help time to time.
> >
> > Many Thanks
> > Prithvi
> >
> > On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 9:23 PM, Clint Gilbert <clint_gilbert@hms.harvard.edu<mailto:clint_gilbert@hms.harvard.edu>>
wrote:
> > From the perspective of someone who is fairly new to Pivot and writing a
> > decent-sized standalone app with it, I can say that Pivot's API is about
> > 10,000 times cleaner than the other choices available for Java.  Pivot
> > is quite pleasant to use.
> >
> > A GUI builder would be nice, but the Pivot API and tutorials are good
> > enough that I haven't felt like I really needed one.  I tried out SWT
> > and Swing on the same project.  They were both much more verbose and
> > required so many fiddly settings that a GUI builder was a necessity;
> > with Pivot it's a nice-to-have at best.
> >
> > I don't use WTKX as I have a general bias against coding apps in XML -
> > there are too many magic strings to line up without typos, and an IDE
> > can't help you refactor - so all my experience is with coding UIs in Java.
> >
> > If you need to give a standalone Java app a nice UI with little fuss, I
> > recommend Pivot wholeheartedly.  The fact that an app can be deployed as
> > an applet with no code changes is a nice bonus.
> >
> > java programmer wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>

> >> 2- I am seeing that, Pivot is made using eclipse. Mostly what i am noticing
for every component i need to write the code by hand. There is no
> >> drag and support for components like Swing. Even to the extend i can't use some
xml editor to find out what properties a particular element is
> >> having. Is there a solution to this problem? Any DTD available?
> >>
> >> 3- One thing which might be needed in Pivot might be the validation support.
Is pivot providing some validation framework like struts do? If not,
> >> can we use some apache validations API inside the pivot application to perform
the validations?

> >> 4- Is it able to integrate with Spring and Hibernate?
> >>
> >> 5- Do every-time if we have to use it inside the web-application, we have to
expose it as an applet?

> >> 6- What is the learning curve for Apache Pivot? How many days it will require
to fully understand the WTKX and start coding in it efficiently?