pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Newbie Apache Pivot Evaluation
Date Sun, 16 May 2010 19:52:28 GMT
While Clint makes some great points about code completion and refactoring, I would still encourage
you to take a look at WTKX. It can really help simplify the task of constructing a complex
GUI.

On May 16, 2010, at 1:53 PM, java programmer wrote:

> Hello Greg,
>
> Thank you very much. I think so i will be using the complete Java source code rather
then
> using WTKX files as you suggested. I will design the application on paper and then start

> coding, will surely be needing your help time to time.
>
> Many Thanks
> Prithvi
>
> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 9:23 PM, Clint Gilbert <clint_gilbert@hms.harvard.edu>
wrote:
> From the perspective of someone who is fairly new to Pivot and writing a
> decent-sized standalone app with it, I can say that Pivot's API is about
> 10,000 times cleaner than the other choices available for Java.  Pivot
> is quite pleasant to use.
>
> A GUI builder would be nice, but the Pivot API and tutorials are good
> enough that I haven't felt like I really needed one.  I tried out SWT
> and Swing on the same project.  They were both much more verbose and
> required so many fiddly settings that a GUI builder was a necessity;
> with Pivot it's a nice-to-have at best.
>
> I don't use WTKX as I have a general bias against coding apps in XML -
> there are too many magic strings to line up without typos, and an IDE
> can't help you refactor - so all my experience is with coding UIs in Java.
>
> If you need to give a standalone Java app a nice UI with little fuss, I
> recommend Pivot wholeheartedly.  The fact that an app can be deployed as
> an applet with no code changes is a nice bonus.
>
> java programmer wrote:
> > Hello,
> >

> > 2- I am seeing that, Pivot is made using eclipse. Mostly what i am noticing for
every component i need to write the code by hand. There is no
> > drag and support for components like Swing. Even to the extend i can't use some
xml editor to find out what properties a particular element is
> > having. Is there a solution to this problem? Any DTD available?
> >
> > 3- One thing which might be needed in Pivot might be the validation support. Is
pivot providing some validation framework like struts do? If not,
> > can we use some apache validations API inside the pivot application to perform the
validations?

> > 4- Is it able to integrate with Spring and Hibernate?
> >
> > 5- Do every-time if we have to use it inside the web-application, we have to expose
it as an applet?

> > 6- What is the learning curve for Apache Pivot? How many days it will require to
fully understand the WTKX and start coding in it efficiently?