pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Making a org.apache.pivot.wtk.Dialog resizable
Date Wed, 26 May 2010 19:20:44 GMT
Correct - this is by design. In Pivot, a window's size is defined by its preferred width and
height properties rather than the actual width and height properties. This is because, like
all other components, a window relies on its parent container (an instance of Display) to
set its size. During layout, DisplaySkin sets the size of the window to its preferred size,
whether explicitly defined by the caller or determined by the window's skin. When an explicit
preferred size is not set, TerraFrameSkin (which TerraDialogSkin extends) reports a preferred
size based on the size of its content. The "resizable" style is ignored in this case. However,
if either preferred width or height is set, the flag is respected.

This is different from AWT/Swing, which uses the pack() method to size a window to its content.
In Pivot, packing happens automatically when one or both preferred dimensions is not set.

Hope this helps.

Greg

On May 26, 2010, at 12:11 PM, Chris Bartlett wrote:

> I've been struggling for a few hours trying to figure out how to make a   org.apache.pivot.wtk.Dialog
  resizable.   (Using a copy of the 1.5 trunk refreshed earlier today)

> Using   org.apache.pivot.tutorials.windows.Windows   as a base, I modified   'dialog.wtkx'
  to include    styles="{resizable:true}"   in the Dialog element.

> This doesn't have any effect unless the   preferredWidth   and/or  preferredHeight  properties
are also set.
> The code in   org.apache.pivot.wtk.skin.terra.TerraFrameSkin.mouseMove()   suggests this
is deliberate.

> Am I missing something here as to why the preferred width & height are relevant,
or should this be classified as a bug?