pivot-user mailing list archives

From Clint Gilbert <clint_gilb...@hms.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: Newbie Apache Pivot Evaluation
Date Sun, 16 May 2010 17:23:16 GMT
>From the perspective of someone who is fairly new to Pivot and writing a
decent-sized standalone app with it, I can say that Pivot's API is about
10,000 times cleaner than the other choices available for Java.  Pivot
is quite pleasant to use.

A GUI builder would be nice, but the Pivot API and tutorials are good
enough that I haven't felt like I really needed one.  I tried out SWT
and Swing on the same project.  They were both much more verbose and
required so many fiddly settings that a GUI builder was a necessity;
with Pivot it's a nice-to-have at best.

I don't use WTKX as I have a general bias against coding apps in XML -
there are too many magic strings to line up without typos, and an IDE
can't help you refactor - so all my experience is with coding UIs in Java.

If you need to give a standalone Java app a nice UI with little fuss, I
recommend Pivot wholeheartedly.  The fact that an app can be deployed as
an applet with no code changes is a nice bonus.

java programmer wrote:
> Hello,
>

> 2- I am seeing that, Pivot is made using eclipse. Mostly what i am noticing for every
component i need to write the code by hand. There is no
> drag and support for components like Swing. Even to the extend i can't use some xml editor
to find out what properties a particular element is
> having. Is there a solution to this problem? Any DTD available?
>
> 3- One thing which might be needed in Pivot might be the validation support. Is pivot
providing some validation framework like struts do? If not,
> can we use some apache validations API inside the pivot application to perform the validations?
>
> 4- Is it able to integrate with Spring and Hibernate?
>
> 5- Do every-time if we have to use it inside the web-application, we have to expose it
as an applet?

> 6- What is the learning curve for Apache Pivot? How many days it will require to fully
understand the WTKX and start coding in it efficiently?