pivot-user mailing list archives

From Noel Grandin <noelgran...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Production Application Based On Pivot
Date Thu, 06 May 2010 12:21:26 GMT

Yeah, it's more the improved memory usage that SWT.Virtual provides,
mostly by doing more work so that it's memory usage is roughly
  O(no rows displayed)
instead of
  O (no rows in model)

We could do that, but it has both a code complexity cost, and a feature
cost - some features become impossible to support because they would
require scanning through the entire model.

-- Noel

Greg Brown wrote:
>>> data sets in TableView ( but throwing huge globs of data at it is a data
>>> control issue not a UI issue ). By making sure I didn't load data using the UI

>>> thread the app is nice to use even when under allot of stress.
>>>

>> The Eclipse JFace/SWT project has a nice solution here, one that
>> may be worth copying - their table has an SWT.Virtual mode where it
>> treats the row-set-data like a virtual memory resource, only loading in
>> the bits it needs when they are needed for display.
>>
> You could also write a table model (i.e. List implementation) that behaves this way (fetches
pages only as needed).

> However, overall TableView performance should be pretty good even with large data sets.
See this demo app:

>   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/pivot/trunk/demos/src/org/apache/pivot/demos/million/
>
> You can get sample data files here:
>
>   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/pivot/site/trunk/www/assets/
>
> Copy them to a local directory and pass the base path to the app; e.g.:
>
>   --basePath=/Users/greg/assets
>
> On my machine, it loads a million rows in less than 10 seconds, and scrolls smoothly.
Make sure you allocate enough heap space, though - I needed 1.5GB to load the largest data
file: