pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Apache Pivot and Swing Development
Date Wed, 19 May 2010 17:54:12 GMT
Agreed. The tutorial is meant to be read from start to finish (though it will help to read
the WTKX Primer first). It shouldn't take too long to get through - it doesn't cover every
feature in minute detail. Rather, it is intended to provide a high-level introduction to the
main features provided by the platform.
Greg

On May 19, 2010, at 8:58 AM, Todd Volkert wrote:

> I, for one, would recommend that, yes, as well as optionally following along with the
tutorials with live code on your side.

> -R
>
> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 8:39 AM, java programmer <java.programmer14@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Dear Greg,
>
> The tutorials are describing each and every feature.
>
> Do you recommend to go them one by one. Completely through every component to see how
is it working?
> It would be more like a cover to cover read. Do you recommend this way?
>
> Best Regards,
> Prithvi
>

> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Greg Brown <gkbrown@mac.com> wrote:
> Hi Prithvi,
>
> While Pivot and Swing share a number of common concepts, knowledge of Swing is definitely
not a prerequisite for learning Pivot.

> The best way to learn about Pivot is to read the tutorial. I would suggest starting with
the Pivot 1.5 version, which you can build by running the Ant "deploy" target. This will build
the platform JARs as well as two WAR files: pivot-demos.war and pivot-tutorials.war. You can
then deploy these to a local web server. The tutorials explain how to use most Pivot features.
You may also find the source code for the demos useful.