pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: XML Schema for Pivot's WTKX: not.
Date Wed, 05 May 2010 12:46:19 GMT
>> I had actually started down the path of writing an XSD generator myself a while back.
I abandoned it at the time due to time constraints, but I had started to wonder if DTD might
be a better way to go, since it would avoid the typing issues.

> AFAIK a DTD is not "schema aware", so you cannot provide a proper DTD if you use two
namespaces for, say, "org.apache.pivot.wtk" and "org.apache.pivot.wtk.content" in your WTKX.

DTDs are not namespace aware, but they do allow you to define elements with a colon in the
name. Basically, we'd need to pre-define the namespace prefix to use for each Java package.

>> Either way, I agree that "real" code completion support would be a much better alternative.
>
> True. The downside is that it has to be done for each platform.
>
> Another idea: why not create a doclet that outputs HTML which documents only the properties
that can be used in a WTKX XML file?!? Along with list of style properties of the Terra skin.

This is not a bad idea. Anyone have experience writing doclets?