pivot-user mailing list archives

From Dirk Möbius <dmoeb...@scoop-gmbh.de>
Subject Re: Newbie Apache Pivot Evaluation
Date Mon, 17 May 2010 08:52:46 GMT
java programmer <java.programmer14@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you very much. I think so i will be using the complete Java source
> code rather then using WTKX files as you suggested.

Just like Clint I have some antipathy against XML (for GUI
description), so I started coding my GUI using Pivot Java classes
only, but I soon came to realize that describing the GUI with WTKX is
much more efficient. During development you can reload WTKX files
without having to restart the whole application every time, which is
quite handy if you have lots of sub-dialogs. This is much better than
relying on the hotswapping debugger, which fails if you introduce new
members or change method signatures. In fact, I created a WTKXPanel
class which installs a keyboard shortcut (CTRL-R) that reloads the
associated WTKX file and repaints the dialog.
The downside is the media break between Java and XML, but I can live
with it. Sometimes I miss tag/attribute completion, but just as Greg
says you can use the JavaDoc as a reference. The component explorer
also helps a lot when it comes to style attributes.
It took me ~3 days to get used to WTKX.

Regards,
Dirk.