pivot-user mailing list archives

From Dirk Möbius <dmoeb...@scoop-gmbh.de>
Subject Re: How to retrieve wtkx:id?
Date Fri, 07 May 2010 12:36:12 GMT
Greg Brown <gkbrown@mac.com> wrote:
> I think it would be confusing to have both wtkx:id and @ID.

Just to clarify: the @ID annotation is not for setting _another_ id;
it is to specify into _which_ bean property the wtkx:id should be
injected.

> I'm also not sure that the use case for such a feature has been
> clearly articulated.

The use case is to distinguish event sources without having to
retrieve their instances, to write general purpose event listeners.
Example:

public class MyButtonPressListener implements ButtonPressListener {
   public void buttonPressed(Button eventSource) {
     if (eventSource.getId().equals("copy"))
       executeCopyAction();
     else if (eventSource.getId().equals("paste"))
       executePasteAction();
   }
}

This example is clearly not good programming style, because one could
as well write two separate button event listeners, and it is not
something that Pivot should encourage. However, there are some
situations where this might be handy.

> Perhaps the automationID property of Component would suffice?

automationID would suffice, but then you'd have to assign two ids in the wtkx:

<Button wtkx:id="copy" automationID="copy" .../>

Regards,
Dirk