pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Production Application Based On Pivot
Date Thu, 06 May 2010 12:15:25 GMT
>> data sets in TableView ( but throwing huge globs of data at it is a data
>> control issue not a UI issue ). By making sure I didn't load data using the UI
>> thread the app is nice to use even when under allot of stress.
>>

> The Eclipse JFace/SWT project has a nice solution here, one that
> may be worth copying - their table has an SWT.Virtual mode where it
> treats the row-set-data like a virtual memory resource, only loading in
> the bits it needs when they are needed for display.

You could also write a table model (i.e. List implementation) that behaves this way (fetches
pages only as needed).

However, overall TableView performance should be pretty good even with large data sets. See
this demo app:

  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/pivot/trunk/demos/src/org/apache/pivot/demos/million/

You can get sample data files here:

  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/pivot/site/trunk/www/assets/

Copy them to a local directory and pass the base path to the app; e.g.:

  --basePath=/Users/greg/assets

On my machine, it loads a million rows in less than 10 seconds, and scrolls smoothly. Make
sure you allocate enough heap space, though - I needed 1.5GB to load the largest data file:

  -Xms128m -Xmx1536m