pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: skin vs renderer
Date Fri, 07 May 2010 18:55:12 GMT
Hi Robert,

A skin defines the L&F of a component. A renderer is used by the skin to draw the component's
content. For example, the Terra PushButton skin draws itself as a gray box with a border,
but the skin uses the (default) renderer to draw the button's icon and text.

Not quite sure what you mean by "selectable list of text areas". Maybe you could describe
the use case a little more specifically? Are you thinking of something like what is shown
in this tutorial?

  http://pivot.apache.org/tutorials/web-queries.html

Note that, while support for rich text is currently stubbed out in TextArea, it isn't actually
supported. The classes and APIs that would have supported it are deprecated for Pivot 1.5
and will be removed in Pivot 1.5.1. The best way to create text with different fonts and font
sizes is to use a combination of Labels and layout containers such as TablePane and BoxPane.

Hope this helps.

Greg

On May 7, 2010, at 1:56 PM, Robert Piotrowski wrote:

> What's the difference between a skin and a renderer?
>
> If I wanted to have a selectable list of textareas and each textarea had sections with
different fonts and font sizes (to make it look like HTML), which direction do I take?

> I was looking at the ListViewItemRenderer and I don't see where I'd be the logic "magic"
is for setting something like this at the text level inside a textarea.  What goes into the
render()/renderStyles() method?