pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Referencing pivot from Swing
Date Mon, 26 Apr 2010 13:30:49 GMT
Though it will certainly be easier to do once PIVOT-418 is resolved, creating a custom application
context using the existing API isn't actually all that tough. For example, I created this
one by stripping out the non-essential code from DesktopApplicationContext:

  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/pivot/trunk/tests/src/org/apache/pivot/tests/SwingApplicationContext.java

I also added a menu bar (taken from the Swing menu tutorial) to demonstrate that it is possible.
Running SwingApplicationContext with the org.apache.pivot.tests.BaselineTest application makes
a decent example.

Hope this helps,
Greg

On Apr 26, 2010, at 5:23 AM, Rendell, Stephen / Kuehne + Nagel / Ntg CI wrote:

> Well we do need a top menu bar (on the Display) as I mentioned earlier, but mostly the
requirement is political as Swing has been mandated as the main client-side technology we
have to use. These kind of dictats are common in large companies, unfortunately.

> Looks like PIVOT-418 is only being fixed in 2.0 which is probably too late for us, and
without it I would need to modify ApplicationContext to allow me to write a ‘SwingApplicationContext’
containing a ‘HostFrame’ that delegates to swing. This involves quite a lot of code.

> Cheers,
> Steve

to do with Swing that isn't currently possible in Pivot?

> On Apr 23, 2010, at 5:10 AM, Rendell, Stephen / Kuehne + Nagel / Ntg CI wrote:
>

> I notice a question has already been asked about embedding swing widgets in a pivot app,
but what about the other way round?

> Does anyone have any experience of or idea how to create, say, a pivot Frame in a swing
app in place of a JInternalFrame.
> Or somehow write an alternative to DisplayHost which uses the existing underlying graphics
that swing uses, so that a pivot app could transparently function in a swing environment?

> Cheers,
> Steve
>
> Kuehne + Nagel Ltd. ( the Company) trade solely upon the conditions of the British International
Freight Association. Copies of these Conditions can be obtained on application to the Company
or upon application to the Director General of the British International Freight Association
at Redfern House, Browells Lane, Feltham, Middx, TW13 7EP

> This email and any attachments are confidential and solely for the use of the intended
recipient. They may contain material protected by legal professional or other privilege. If
you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering to the intended
recipient, you are not authorised to and must not disclose, copy, distribute or retain this
email or its attachments. Although this email and its attachments are believed to be free
of any virus or other defect, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they
are virus free and no responsibility is accepted by the company for any loss or damage arising
from receipt or use thereof.

> Kuehne + Nagel Ltd.
> Registered in England and Wales number 01722216.
> VAT Registration Number GB 864 4409 10.
> Registered Office: 1 Union Business Park, Florence Way, Rockingham Road, Uxbridge, Middlesex.
UB8 2LS