pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Displaying a button in a TableView
Date Mon, 12 Apr 2010 14:14:06 GMT
True - "efficiency" is probably a better term. For large data sets the renderer approach tends
to be more efficient in terms of memory consumption than creating an actual component instance
per cell.

But you already know all of this, I'm sure.  ;-)

Greg

On Apr 12, 2010, at 10:01 AM, Dirk Möbius wrote:

> [...]
and does not allow you to actually embed other components within a TableView.

>>> *sigh* and I thought I'd finally found a GUI toolkit that makes GUI creation
easy. Why is thinlet.com the only toolkit that allows that?!?

>> As you noted in your earlier email, it is primarily for performance reasons.
>
> In TerraTableViewSkin, you call the render() method of TableView.CellRenderer in the
following situations:
>  getPreferredWidth()
>  getBaseline()
>  layout()
>  calculateFixedRowHeight()
>  paint()
>  getVariableRowHeight()
>  getColumnWidths()
> Most of the time, the cell renderers in turn call their getPreferredWidth(), getPreferredHeight(),
getBaseline(), layout() and paint() methods. Also, in most cases, the cell renderer subclasses
a real component such as Label, BoxPane etc. So I cannot see a big difference if the cell
renderer would be a real component and those component methods would be called directly. But
I guess I'm wrong. ;-)

>> Maybe a TablePane would be more appropriate for your use case? TableView is primarily
used to present data, whereas TablePane is used for layout.