pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Debug symbols in release binaries (was Debugging AWT-EventQueue)
Date Fri, 16 Apr 2010 15:08:02 GMT
>> That would significantly increase the size of the JARs - that may not be important
to a server-side app, but it does have implications on a client-side app.

> It's not that important for desktop apps nowadays, but I see your point for applets and
WebStart apps. However, any serious developer providing such apps would use pack200 on the
jars anyway, and it has an option --strip-debug to remove any debug symbols. See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2287615/java-jar-symbol-info-what-is-the-equivalent-of-tdstrip
for details.

That's cool. I was not aware of that feature.

I just built both debug and non-debug JARs and the size difference is not that significant,
especially over a broadband connection. Given these arguments, it seems reasonable to add
the debug symbols to the release binaries. Does anyone have any objections?