pivot-user mailing list archives

From Noel Grandin <noelgran...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ListButton inside table cell
Date Fri, 30 Apr 2010 10:27:34 GMT
Hi

Dirk Möbius wrote:
> Noel Grandin <noelgrandin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> That is the same approach Swing uses.
>
> No it's not, because Swing doesn't pass any events to the cell
> renderer. (Neither does Pivot.)

Yes it is. This is exactly how JTable works.

>> And it has the same problems - getting events into and out of the cell
>> is tricky and means that the cell component needs various bits of
>> tweaking to cope properly with things like focus gain/release.
>
> True, it can be tricky. But the tricky part has been dealt with by the
> JavaFX team, so it is not left to the framework user.

Even when the framework "deals with it", it leaves behind a variety of
interesting little constraints and tricks for the developer to discover.
Note how hard it is insert custom components into a JTable and get all
of the focussing and other little details completely correct. And then
someone tries to implement something like alternate-row-striping on the
JTable, and it blows up the assumptions that the custom component was
operating under.

>> I'm in two minds about this. Personally, I try where-ever possible to
>> avoid using the Swing components that do this (JTable) in favour of
>> putting real components into real containers.
>>
>> However, there are a very few use-cases (editable tables containing very
>> large numbers of rows) that can benefit from this approach.
>
> I think using components in tables is a pretty common use case in
> modern applications. Examples:
> - a link button, to navigate to detail panes
> - an expander, to show additional row details
> - a movie component, displaying a YouTube video (yes, I'm serious, and
> JavaFX is capable of this)
> - any input component (such as TextInput etc) that you want to show
> immediately without forcing the user to enter edit mode explicitly
>
> Dirk.

True, which is why Pivot has TablePane.
Maybe it's not perfect, because it forces you to use Label for a lot of
things, and it's memory consumption is higher, but it's also very
predictable in terms of how the components interact with their parent
container.

Like I said, there is maybe a need for this, I'm just not convinced that
it is something that the core components need to support.

Regards, Noel.