pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: let Sequence<T> extend Iterable<T> ?!?
Date Mon, 19 Apr 2010 11:53:46 GMT
> Would it be possible that Sequence<T> extends Iterable<T>? So that you can
use any Sequence instance in a for-each loop, not just some specialized subclasses such as
TablePane.ColumnSequence.

List<T> is meant to serve this purpose. List<T> extends Sequence<T> and
Collection<T>, which extends Iterable<T>. Similarly, Map<K, V> extends Dictionary<K,
V> and Collection<K>, and Set<E> extends Group<E> and Collection<E>.
This approach allows us to combine collection behaviors without collisions on the Iterable
type (for example, org.apache.pivot.xml.Element implements List<Node> and Dictionary<String,
String>, which wouldn't compile if Dictionary also implemented Iterable).

We use Sequence rather than List in our inner classes primarily because we want the associated
mutator events to be fired from the outer class, rather than the sequence itself, as we would
need to do if the sequences implemented List (they would need to fire ListListener events).