pivot-user mailing list archives

From Dirk Möbius <dmoeb...@scoop-gmbh.de>
Subject Re: ListButton inside table cell
Date Fri, 30 Apr 2010 10:04:24 GMT
Noel Grandin <noelgrandin@gmail.com> wrote:
> That is the same approach Swing uses.

No it's not, because Swing doesn't pass any events to the cell
renderer. (Neither does Pivot.)

> And it has the same problems - getting events into and out of the cell
> is tricky and means that the cell component needs various bits of
> tweaking to cope properly with things like focus gain/release.

True, it can be tricky. But the tricky part has been dealt with by the
JavaFX team, so it is not left to the framework user.

> Also saving/restoring the cell's state can lead to very odd things
> happening when people forget to save or restore all of the state.

That's why they force the use of binding.

> I'm in two minds about this. Personally, I try where-ever possible to
> avoid using the Swing components that do this (JTable) in favour of
> putting real components into real containers.
>
> However, there are a very few use-cases (editable tables containing very
> large numbers of rows) that can benefit from this approach.

I think using components in tables is a pretty common use case in
modern applications. Examples:
- a link button, to navigate to detail panes
- an expander, to show additional row details
- a movie component, displaying a YouTube video (yes, I'm serious, and
JavaFX is capable of this)
- any input component (such as TextInput etc) that you want to show
immediately without forcing the user to enter edit mode explicitly

Dirk.