pivot-user mailing list archives

From Dirk Möbius <dmoeb...@scoop-gmbh.de>
Subject Re: Displaying a button in a TableView
Date Mon, 12 Apr 2010 14:01:55 GMT
>>> You are correct - Pivot's table rendering model is very similar to
>>> Swing's and does not allow you to actually embed other components
>>> within a TableView.
>>
>> *sigh* and I thought I'd finally found a GUI toolkit that makes GUI
>> creation easy. Why is thinlet.com the only toolkit that allows
>> that?!?
>
> As you noted in your earlier email, it is primarily for performance reasons.

In TerraTableViewSkin, you call the render() method of
TableView.CellRenderer in the following situations:
   getPreferredWidth()
   getBaseline()
   layout()
   calculateFixedRowHeight()
   paint()
   getVariableRowHeight()
   getColumnWidths()
Most of the time, the cell renderers in turn call their
getPreferredWidth(), getPreferredHeight(), getBaseline(), layout() and
paint() methods. Also, in most cases, the cell renderer subclasses a
real component such as Label, BoxPane etc. So I cannot see a big
difference if the cell renderer would be a real component and those
component methods would be called directly. But I guess I'm wrong. ;-)

> Maybe a TablePane would be more appropriate for your use case?
> TableView is primarily used to present data, whereas TablePane is
> used for layout.

Alas no, I need sortable table headers and resizable columns.

Dirk.