pivot-user mailing list archives

From Dirk Möbius <dmoeb...@scoop-gmbh.de>
Subject Displaying a button in a TableView
Date Fri, 09 Apr 2010 10:06:03 GMT
In my applications it is a _very frequent_ requirement to display
detail info when the user clicks a certain table cell. Somewhat like
master/detail, but the details shouldn't show up if the whole table
_row_ is selected but a particular _cell_. If the user clicks another
cell, other details should be shown. Also, the user should get some
visual feedback that some of the cells are "clickable", while others
are not.

So I would preferably use a LinkButton for those kind of cells, but it
seems there's no easy way to display a LinkButton as a cell in a
TableView. I can write a custom CellRenderer that extends LinkButton
and it displays correctly, but there is no behaviour: the button
doesn't "hover" on mouse-over, and actions attached to it do not fire.

Apparently, Pivot is following the "rubber stamp" cell renderer
approach of Swing, which is good for performance, but makes it hard to
embed real components inside a TableView.

I already tried the common Swing trick to set the LinkButton as cell
editor and to enter edit mode automatically when the mouse enters the
table (and to cancel the edit when the mouse leaves the LinkButton).
But this doesn't work very well. Is there an easier way?

Thanks in advance.
--
Regards,
Dirk Möbius