pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Layout component within ScrollPane
Date Sun, 14 Feb 2010 21:33:28 GMT
Right. Also, the text in the top pane is generally not editable. For example, in iChat it is
presented as a vertical list of read-only labels. This could be accomplished in Pivot using
a vertical BoxPane.

On Feb 14, 2010, at 4:18 PM, Todd Volkert wrote:

> FWIW, every chat application I've used (YIM, Pidgin, Epiphany, AIM) has been some variation
on this theme: two panes divided vertically by a splitter.  The text area in the lower region
is for typing your outgoing messages, and the text area in the upper region is to show the
conversation.  Both text areas use top alignment, but the conversation window automatically
scrolls to bottom when new text appears.  This behavior is supported in Pivot.

> I haven't thought through all possible use cases to decide if bottom alignment in text
area would ever make sense -- I'm just saying that from my observations, IM clients are not
a typical use case of bottom alignment.

> -T
>
> On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Rostislav Krasny <rosti.bsd@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Why vertical alignment in TextArea is less likely to be implemented?
> >> Is it harder to be implemented than the horizontal one or some other
> >> reason?
> >
> > There is not as much of a use case for vertical alignment in TextArea. Think about
a typical word processor - it supports horizontal alignment, but not vertical, because text
is laid out from right to left and is expected to scroll vertically.