pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Rich Text (HTML) Display
Date Tue, 23 Feb 2010 21:18:21 GMT
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 3:46 PM, Greg Brown <gkbrown@mac.com> wrote:
> Good question. I neglected to mention in my previous post there is currently no way to
embed Swing components in a Pivot app. However, you might be able to wrap a JTextPane in a
custom Pivot component and delegate paint() calls to it. Alternatively, there may be some
lower-level Swing text rendering APIs you could delegate to and bypass JTextPane altogether.

> OK, one last (probably obvious) question:  Why might flying saucer work better with Pivot?
 I assume that it is not based on Swing?  Does it use SWT or something else that plays well
with Pivot?  Again, I apologize for the basic questions, I have almost no Java GUI experience.

Like Swing, Pivot uses Java2D for rendering. However, Pivot doesn't doesn't depend on or extend
Swing, so it's not especially straightforward to drop a Swing component into a Pivot app.
I haven't looked into Flying Saucer in any great detail, but I imagine that it renders directly
to Java2D, which would make it a lot easier to embed in a Pivot app. We did something similar
with JFreeChart:

http://code.google.com/p/pivot-jfree/

We can't include JFreeChart in the Pivot distribution for the same reason we can't have a
dependency on Flying Saucer. However, it would be possible to write a bridge library to Flying
Saucer similar to what we did for JFreeChart...that is definitely worth considering.