pivot-user mailing list archives

From "Serge Le Breton" <...@sergelebreton.com>
Subject Re: Compatibility breaks between pivot versions.
Date Sat, 30 Jan 2010 00:37:18 GMT
Greg,

Thank you for the answer. I've followed the user@pivot.apache.org for a while and I like your
responsiveness.
It makes me feel confident as a new user of pivot.

I completely agree with the "getting the API right" philosophy.
The project is young and full of potential and no genius on earth can make it right the first
time.
.Net doesn't. It pretty much breaks compatibility every major X release.
Scala doesn't either.
Java didn't, but ends up with a cluttered API and a soooooo long javadoc full of deprecated
annotations.

A DTD will definitively help. Especially for an IDE (auto-completion, typing validation etc..)

Anyway, I'm going to write my own <checkWTKX> Ant task and add it in my compile target.
I think it's a good idea. Just to be sure.

Cheers, and keep up the good work.

BTW: anyone on your team working on a GUI/WTKX designer tool?

/Serge

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 11:44:31 +1300, Greg Brown <gkbrown@mac.com> wrote:

> Hi Serge,
>
> We have historically made API changes across releases that have broken backwards compatibility,
particularly during our incubation as the platform evolved. We believe that "getting the API
right" is very important and can sometimes outweigh the benefits of maintaining backward compatibility.
However, as our user base grows, we will be more conscious of the impact such changes will
have and will ensure that breaking API changes are adequately documented in our release notes.

> An Ant task that verifies WTKX validity is an interesting idea - another option we have
discussed is providing a DTD to validate the XML structure. This is currently on the table
for Pivot 1.4.2.