pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Eclipse and Pivot
Date Sun, 24 Jan 2010 12:55:30 GMT
Yes, you could also set it up this way. I simply prefer to keep project resources centralized
(and the Pivot JARs are pretty small, so file size shouldn't be that much of an issue).

On Jan 23, 2010, at 9:17 PM, Bob Santos wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong but I think adding a lib folder and having a copy of the pivot
jars for each project is not required. You can point to the same source of the jars everytime
you create a Pivot project.

> The disadvantage of having a copy of the jars for each project is file size, while the
disadvantage of pointing to the same source of jars is you have to edit the location of the
jars for each project if you move the jars to a different location.

> For me, the best way is still using Maven with Eclipse cause you can have the advantage
of pointing to one source/repository and when you change the location of your local maven
repository you just need to change the M2_REPO classpath variable in Eclipse. Reading to Michael's
blog post is a good start.

> Regards,
>
> Bob
>
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 6:35 AM, Greg Brown <gkbrown@mac.com> wrote:
> FYI, I added this information to the FAQ:
>
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/PIVOT/Frequently+Asked+Questions+%28FAQ%29
>
> On Jan 23, 2010, at 5:05 PM, Greg Brown wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Welcome! It is very easy to set up a Pivot project using Eclipse (the Pivot platform
itself is actually built using Eclipse). These are the steps I typically use:

>> - Create a new Java project (File > New Java Project).
>>
>> - Add a lib folder to the project.
>>
>> - Copy the Pivot JARs you need to the lib folder. At a minimum, you'll need pivot-core-1.4.jar,
pivot-wtk-1.4.jar, and pivot-wtk-terra-1.4.jar. The contents of all the Pivot JARs are discussed
in the Platform Overview section of the tutorial (http://pivot.apache.org/tutorials/platform-overview.html).

>> - Right-click on the project in Eclipse and select Properties. Click on Java Build
Path.

>> - Select the Libraries tab and click Add JARs.
>>
>> - Navigate to the lib directory in your newly created project, select the Pivot JARs,
and click OK.

>> You can now create your main application class (the one that implements org.apache.pivot.wtk.Application).
The Hello World tutorial page discusses this interface in more detail and provides information
on how to launch it in a browser or as a desktop application:

>> http://pivot.apache.org/tutorials/hello-world.html
>>
>> Note that there is a typo in the current version of this page. The "applicationClassName"
applet param should actually be "application_class_name". This will be fixed the next time
we update the site.

>> Please let us know if you have any additional questions.
>>
>> Greg
>>

>> On Jan 23, 2010, at 2:43 PM, Mohammed Benabdallah wrote:
>>
>>> Good evening,
>>>
>>> I'm new on the liste, and i already have a question :
>>>
>>> The demo of Pivot are on a JAR file, but what if we want to use eclipse, I mean
that in the demo war file we have this architecture :

>>> pivot-demos
>>> |_________src (EMPTY)
>>> |_________WebContent (All HTML file that call Java Classes)
>>> |_________|__________lib (Contain pivot-demos-1.4.jar, all the classes for the
demo)

>>> But in an Eclipse (or NetBeans or a Standard Maven) project, the sources are
in src folder, and when i create an HTML file in the WebContent I have an error message saying