pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Making a Menu Bar Fill Remaining Horizontal Space
Date Fri, 20 Nov 2009 15:31:35 GMT
I don't think a vertical box pane will give you the layout you want. I'd expect to see a table
pane with three rows of height -1, 1*, and -1 containing the menu bar, edit area, and status
bar respectively. This will create a UI where the middle row is always given the remaining
available height after the heights of the menu bar and status bar have been accounted for
(similar to using a BorderLayout in AWT).

On Nov 20, 2009, at 10:22 AM, Bob Santos wrote:

> Hi Todd,
>
> Thanks for pointing that out, I wasn't aware that the Window is not maximized.
>
> So will the BoxPane route I mentioned have the same effect?
>
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 11:10 PM, Todd Volkert <tvolkert@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> Try maximizing the window, like so:
>
> <Window title="Hello Pivot"
>     maximized="true"
>
> Right now, since the window isn't maximized, it's getting set to its preferred size,
which is just as big as it needs to be to accomodate the menu bar.  When you maximize it,
it will occupy the entire space of the native frame.

> -T
>

> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 10:01 AM, Bob Santos <bob.santosjr@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All!
>
> I'm working on a sample app using Pivot and what I want to do is create a Menu Bar, an
Edit Window right below the Menu Bar and possibly a Status Bar below the Edit Window. So basically
they are three boxes laid out vertically. I'm on the first part where I  am creating the Menu
Bar it compiles and executes correctly but it does not look right since a Menu Bar should
in relation with what layout I want should fill out the remaining horizontal space but doesn't.
I've used TablePane with one column and width=1* as suggested in the mailing list archives.

> Here's the WTKX file for your reference: http://pastebin.com/f3159ebaf
>
> I tried to include the code here but the first time I sent this, it exceeded 5.0 spam
score so it was not accepted.
> By the way I also tried using a parent BoxPane with vertical orientation and fill:true
and then BoxPane with horizontal orientations and fill:true where I put the Menu Bar.