pivot-user mailing list archives

From Sandro Martini <sandro.mart...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: how to reduce Pivot Jar size
Date Wed, 26 Aug 2009 13:00:46 GMT
Hi Vicente,
congratulations for your project ... I've just tried to run , and
seems interesting.

> Any way to remove unused classes from the Pivot jars to reduce download size?
In what sense you say "unused" ?
To reduce jar size you can use the standard pack200 tools (from JDK),
and refer to them in your applet / Wen Start, as explained in the Java
documentation. Usually jar files are much smaller after this.

Tell me if you have problems.

Before this, there is another thing you can do:
- ensure you compile without debug info (ok, this is trivial, but many
times this occur ...)
- shrink compiled classes using an obfuscator, like ProGuard, yGuard, etc
  -- but with these tools then, in case of errors, also class methods
and variables are reduced, so for example StackTraces becomes less
readable, so it's your choice.

But I'd wait to do this passage, if not to learn how to do ...

Bye,
Sandro