pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Relative Sizes
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2009 21:30:46 GMT
Relative sizes apply to the amount of space available after all fixed
sizes have been taken into account. If there is only one component,
and it specifies a width of "1*", that component will be allocated
100% of the available space. If another component also specifies "1*",
each one will get 1/2 the available space. If the other component
specifies "2*", component 1 will get 1/3 and component 2 will get 2/3.
We could have allowed the user to specify a percentage value, but the
current approach avoids the issue of how to handle values that add up
to more than 100.

However, we didn't envision a use case for specifying a fractional
value. What exactly are you trying to do? Perhaps you could use the
new Filler component to meet your needs? For example, you could do this:

<TablePane>
     <columns>
         <TablePane.Column width="1*"/>
         <TablePane.Column width="1*"/>
     </columns>
     <rows>
         <TablePane.Row>
             <Label text="50%"/>
             <TablePane.Filler/> <!-- gets the other 50% -->
         </TablePane.Row>
     </rows>
</TablePane>

Here, the label gets 50%, as does the filler component, which
basically acts as an empty cell.