pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Preferences Demo
Date Fri, 21 Aug 2009 12:44:52 GMT
> I'm preparing a Demo for a Pivot version of Preferences, for the 1.3.1
> (or max for the 1.4, depending on the time ...).
>
> For the demo I'm thinking to write it as a simple TODO List
> Management.

To me, that doesn't sound like a good use case for a "preferences"
API. It seems more like generic "persistence". To me, "preferences"
implies some sort of structured storage that is meant to be used for
small amounts of data (such as most recent window position, user name,
etc.).

Since preferences APIs are generally built on top of persistence APIs,
it might be more valuable to write a persistence demo - I'd especially
like to see an example that uses the JNLP APIs to support local
storage in untrusted code. That way, readers can apply the example to
a wider range of use cases.