pivot-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Brind <bri...@brindy.org.uk>
Subject Re: Maven browser
Date Thu, 02 Jul 2009 07:13:05 GMT
The obvious one is Bundle management:
- Install
- Start
- Stop
- Update
- Uninstall
- Refresh (the framework to update package wiring)

However, these might have slightly different requirements depending on
whether Pivot is managing a Felix container 'locally' or 'over the web'.
For instance, where do bundles that are installed via the web go?  If a
bundle installed via the web is then 'updated' does that mean a new version
has to be uploaded?  (An update usually just reloads the bundle from it's
registered location). Also, 'over the web' implies some security might be
required (but this could be added modularly, read on...).

My next priority would be a LogReader implementation (i.e. being able to
view calls LogService) and then next possibly a view of how
bundles/packages/services are wired.

If you look at the OSGi core spec (i.e. minimum required for a container to
run and very small/well focused) and the OSGi compendium (i.e. optional
stuff, still well focused but somewhat larger) there's plenty of scope for
things that can be done (e.g. User Admin, Preferences management).  The
stuff I mention initially would be 'quick-win'.

The Javadocs are also as revealing, though it's not as clear what is core
and what is in the compendium.  Generally the framework package is the
'core' stuff (yes, 11 classes and a bunch of interfaces) and everything else
is from the compendium, I think:
http://www.osgi.org/javadoc/r4v41/index.html

One thing though, Pivot is obviously aimed at Java 1.6 now - OSGi tries to
maintain compatibility with Java 1.3.  I think a lot of people abandon that
compatability in favour of 1.5+ anyway these days, especially when not
dealing with embedded systems, so that shouldn't really be an issue as long
as people are aware of Pivot's requirements.  That said, management via the
browser is obviously running in a different JVM to that of the OSGi
container so could be 1.3 compatible if we really wanted it to be.

While we're at it, a quick thought about that OSGi Jira issue that was
raised a while back - personally I don't see much value in adding OSGi to
Pivot (I think it might be difficult to reverse engineer OSGi in at this
stage and Pivot seems modular enough, as well as the argument about who
needs dynamic services in a UI like which Pivot is design for), but the idea
of using Pivot as a front end for a container is quite appealing and I'm
thinking that bundles might be able to contribute to a Pivot UI by exposing
WTKX resources via HttpService...

This is basically the approach I took with Solstice (my Flex thing).
Bundles could contribute to Solstice's UI by exposing SWF modules via
HttpService and being marked up with a 'Solstice-UI' manifest header to let
the rest of the system know they have something to contribute.  Another
manifest header, 'Solstice-Type' which could have a value of 'Admin' or
'App' or 'Module' specifies where that bundle is contributing to the UI.
Admin means add this contribution to a new tab on the admin interface, App
is a high level selectable application and Module represents something that
can be loaded by 'applications'.

Having learned a lot more about OSGi (and Flex) since then, I would probably
take a step-back and re-look at exactly how I did this as I feel it is
probably contrived, but I think the principal is valid.

What I think we should aim for is a UI for managing Felix, which can then be
extended with Bundles without actually having to put a lot of actual OSGi
support in to the Pivot code base (if any).

I plan on messing around with hosting a Pivot app in an OSGi container (i.e.
delivered via the HttpService for interaction via a web browser) over the
next couple of weeks anyway (when I get some spare time, gah!) so let me
know if there's anything specific you want me to try out.

Hope that all makes sense. :)

Cheers,
Chris