pivot-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: When are you going to move packages to org.apache.pivot?
Date Fri, 05 Jun 2009 12:53:28 GMT
> java and javax are reserved namespaces for platform classes, so I
> don't see their relevance here.

The relevance is that Pivot's classes are meant to replace many of
these platform classes, and should therefore be given equal billing.

> Regarding "outdated"... not using the reversed fully qualified domain
> name was the way old projects named their packages. That is the
> outdated variety. Even junit, which is has been around since the early
> days has converted to org.junit.

I'm suggesting that the TLD prefix is outdated. I'd much prefer
"junit.*" to "org.junit.*", for example. How likely is a project to
use classes from "org.junit" and "com.junit" at the same time (if the
latter even existed)? IMO, not very. I'm assuming that's why Microsoft
dropped the convention when they came up with the C# coding standards.

> I don't see pivot.* being any less official than org.apache.pivot.*.
> You have the full might of Apache there, and there's no need to have
> to type in those package names anymore with current IDEs.

I understand that this is a minor distinction, but Sun's naming
guidelines make any classes not developed by Sun for the java(x).*
package seem like second-class citizens. It's hard enough as it is to
convince developers to use Pivot instead of the "official" UI toolkits
provided by Sun. Why make it any more difficult than it needs to be?

OTOH, it is worth asking the question of whether or not the "pivot.*"
naming convention might actually make a developer *less* likely to use
Pivot. For better or worse, TLD naming is an established convention,
and going against the grain may provide some developers with another
reason *not* to use Pivot.

What do others think?

View raw message