pig-user mailing list archives

From Alan Gates <ga...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Sponsoring Howl as an Apache Incubator project
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2011 16:36:09 GMT

> Alan,
> I see your points. I agree with you and I am +1.
> (incubator/subproject is not important to me)
> You mentioned that hive is cautious about checking changes into the
> meta-store. I would not say we (hive) are cautious. Hive is getting
> pulled in many people in many directions (this is a good thing). But
> the number of people that can technically review patches might be
> burdened at times by the number of them.
> Ideally, I would think hive committers are going to be active (and
> probably would have commit) on howl or is it going to be the burden of
> howl track pig and hive until hive drops /metastore and begins using
> howl? I am just curious about what you think the time line looks like
> (IE how long howl will be in the incubator for) (rought guess of
> course)

I hope that Hive committers do become active in Howl, and we will be
starting with Paul as a committer and John as a mentor.  At least so
far the Howl developers have taken up the burden of tracking the
changes in Hive, since, as you mention, Hive committers are busy and
Howl developers have had the motivation to get it done.

As far as how long it will take, prognostication has never been my
strength.  But I would think it would take at least a year for Howl to
mature to the point that Hive would be willing to trust it as its
metastore or its development would slow to the point that it could
pull the metastore code from Hive.

> Thank you,
> Edward

View raw message