pig-user mailing list archives

From Alan Gates <ga...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Slides from Hadoop Summit 2009 Pig Talk
Date Fri, 19 Jun 2009 15:29:11 GMT
All,

I've posted the slides from the Pig talk I gave at the 2009 Hadoop
Summit, http://wiki.apache.org/pig/PigTalksPapers.

One clarification I want to give with the slides.  We have had
questions on whether we are adding SQL to Pig because we have
concluded that SQL is better than Pig Latin.  The answer to that is
"No."  The Pig team has felt from the beginning that there are some
jobs for which Pig Latin is a better fit, and some for which SQL is a
better fit.  Some users will prefer one language over the other.  Our
goal is to provide one platform that gives users both options and
allows them to share their code such as UDFs across languages.

Alan.