pig-dev mailing list archives

From Eyal Allweil <eyal_allw...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Using Pig web documentation in Pig-Eclipse plugin
Date Wed, 11 Mar 2015 20:54:11 GMT
Hi guys,
I'm working on the next version of Pig-Eclipse, which will contain (among other things) hover
information. For example, for macros, it will display the macro definition line -
DEFINE my_macro(A, sortkey) RETURNS C

For UDF's it will attempt to find the javadoc (the jar has to be loaded in the workspace in
some way) and display it.

I was thinking of having the plugin come with hover information for some of the reserved words
of Pig as well. My initial idea is to take some or all of the entries listed in the "Pig Basics"
page (for example, http://pig.apache.org/docs/r0.12.1/basic.html#assert ).

This would be useful for beginners - it would be like a light-weight help system for them
as they learn Pig.

Is there any problem with doing so, in terms of copyright, licenses, etc? Pig-Eclipse uses
the Eclipse Public License.

If it's fine, I might also want to include the javadocs from the builtin functions, so that
people who use Pig-Eclipse just to open pig files without loading the Pig jars into their
Eclipse workspace can see their definitions as well.

Thanks,
Eyal