pig-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Coveney <jcove...@gmail.com>
Subject Fixing a broken dependency // can we include a patched piece of JRuby source code in Pig?
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2012 17:01:37 GMT
First off: JRuby patch is almost done. It's passing tests, I have some more
to add, but I think the definitive version to work off will be out today
(assuming we can reconcile what follows :)

I hit a bug in JRuby that is pretty impossible to avoid (it's a bug in the
way files were found on the classpath). I figured out the bug and let the
JRuby devs know and they patched master, but that means that our version is
still buggy. I put a patched version of the file in the Pig project pending
a new JRuby release, and this works, but there are two issues:
1) Is this how we want this to be structued? It's weird to have this random
file in there, but on the other hand, it's a clean and clear fix.
2) Is this legal? JRuby has a kind of odd triple license and I think you
can choose 1 for pieces that aren't explicitly GPL (of which there are very
few). One of those licenses is the CPL, which Apache says is kosher as long
as you're explicit, but I don't know. Is this fine? Should I talk to JRuby
or Apache legal?

I suppose the alternative would be to publish a patched version of JRuby
(we could fork it on Github) and depend on that.

I appreciate your comments
Jon