pig-dev mailing list archives

From Gianmarco De Francisci Morales <g...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Making git the repo of choice for Pig?
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2012 09:26:52 GMT
My 2 cents, based on the S4 project experience so far (they have git) is +1
but later.

The process with git is still a bit fuzzy and not fully integrated and
standardized like the one with svn.
I personally use git for all my dev work with Pig, but then switch to svn
to generate the final patch. A bit cumbersome but not so bad.

Switching now will generate confusion and is not that urgent in my humble
opinion.

Cheers,
--
Gianmarco

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 01:27, Dmitriy Ryaboy <dvryaboy@gmail.com> wrote:

> There is a check box you check when you upload a patch. If we committed
> without verifying you checked it, thats an unfortunate oversight.
>
> No, you cant send a pull request via github to apache. That's a github
> (commercial entity) feature, not a git (open source vcs) feature.
>
> Yes you can post a link on a Jira and ask people for review prior to
> submitting a formal patch.  No that's not review board or Jira integration.
>

> On Mar 22, 2012, at 5:59 PM, Russell Jurney <russell.jurney@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > That is fine.  Only committers can merge pull requests.  Not a problem.
> >
> > I've never signed anything, and committers take my patches.  Works the
> same.
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 3:33 PM, Scott Carey <scott@richrelevance.com
> >wrote:
> >

> >> There is a legal issue as well. Uploading a patch to JIRA requires the
> >> user to grant apache license to use the code.  A pull request from
> github
> >> does not.
> >> This is all being hashed out elsewhere, none of us here are experts.

>  Maybe

> jcoveney@gmail.com>

> the

discussion tree

> [...]