pig-dev mailing list archives

From Gianmarco De Francisci Morales <g...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Making git the repo of choice for Pig?
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2012 16:41:39 GMT
The fact is that git does not impose a development model, so it requires a
bit more self discipline compared to svn.
For example, let's say you create one branch for every Jira.
And imagine you want to keep posting patches to Jira so that people can
download and apply them, or have an equivalent.
The patch in git would be the diff between the last commit before the merge
and the start of the branch.
But then you must be very careful with not cross merging among branches, no
cherry-picking, and be very careful with rebasing.
What do you do if your brach cannot merge and you need to rebase it?
What if other people had branched off your branch and you rebase it?

These are not issues that cannot be solved but it takes a bit of discipline
and thought on how to design and integrate the new development model.

Cheers,
--
Gianmarco

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 11:36, Russell Jurney <russell.jurney@gmail.com>wrote:

> Gianmarco, can you elaborate a bit on the fuzziness?
>
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 2:26 AM, Gianmarco De Francisci Morales <
> gdfm@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > My 2 cents, based on the S4 project experience so far (they have git) is
> +1
> > but later.
> >
> > The process with git is still a bit fuzzy and not fully integrated and
> > standardized like the one with svn.
> > I personally use git for all my dev work with Pig, but then switch to svn
> > to generate the final patch. A bit cumbersome but not so bad.
> >
> > Switching now will generate confusion and is not that urgent in my humble
> > opinion.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > --
> > Gianmarco
> >

> > On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 01:27, Dmitriy Ryaboy <dvryaboy@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > There is a check box you check when you upload a patch. If we committed
> > > without verifying you checked it, thats an unfortunate oversight.
> > >
> > > No, you cant send a pull request via github to apache. That's a github
> > > (commercial entity) feature, not a git (open source vcs) feature.
> > >
> > > Yes you can post a link on a Jira and ask people for review prior to
> > > submitting a formal patch.  No that's not review board or Jira
> > integration.

> problem.

> the
> > > same.

> [...]