pig-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Graham <billgra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Making git the repo of choice for Pig?
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2012 18:10:11 GMT
As much as I love git I also don't think now is the time to switch. We
currently have a solution that allows people to develop with svn or with
git, depending on their preferences. It's also possible to collaborate with
other developers on large patches using git and post links to diff's on
github.

The only pain point is that code submissions to JIRAs must be in patch form
(from svn or git), not links to diffs or pull requests. This pain does not
justify migrating from SVN to git imho. Not to mention that migrating
wouldn't fix this pain point.

Also there are still many developers out there who are more comfortable
using SVN. While I agree that git is the way if the future, we should be
hesitant of alienating an svn user who stumbles on a bug and wants to
submit a patch but doesn't know git.

I fail to see any real advantage to making git the primary repo at this
point.

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Gianmarco De Francisci Morales <
gdfm@apache.org> wrote:

> The fact is that git does not impose a development model, so it requires a
> bit more self discipline compared to svn.
> For example, let's say you create one branch for every Jira.
> And imagine you want to keep posting patches to Jira so that people can
> download and apply them, or have an equivalent.
> The patch in git would be the diff between the last commit before the merge
> and the start of the branch.
> But then you must be very careful with not cross merging among branches, no
> cherry-picking, and be very careful with rebasing.
> What do you do if your brach cannot merge and you need to rebase it?
> What if other people had branched off your branch and you rebase it?
>
> These are not issues that cannot be solved but it takes a bit of discipline
> and thought on how to design and integrate the new development model.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Gianmarco
>

> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 11:36, Russell Jurney <russell.jurney@gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Gianmarco, can you elaborate a bit on the fuzziness?
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 2:26 AM, Gianmarco De Francisci Morales <
> > gdfm@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > > My 2 cents, based on the S4 project experience so far (they have git)
> is
> > +1
> > > but later.
> > >
> > > The process with git is still a bit fuzzy and not fully integrated and
> > > standardized like the one with svn.
> > > I personally use git for all my dev work with Pig, but then switch to
> svn
> > > to generate the final patch. A bit cumbersome but not so bad.
> > >
> > > Switching now will generate confusion and is not that urgent in my
> humble
> > > opinion.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > --

> [...]