pig-dev mailing list archives

From edward yoon <webmas...@udanax.org>
Subject RE: Yahoo Pig - Some updates
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2007 05:55:08 GMT

Thanks, Dr.Ted
I see what your saying.

As for the matters related to adding hbase storage options,
It would be good to start after discussing the matters further with hbase people.

As for the shell stuff,
I will make a proposal once a better idea on the relationship between hbase and pig comes
up.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks,
Edward.
------------------------------
B. Regards,
Edward yoon @ NHN, corp.
Home : http://www.udanax.org

> Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 22:21:29 -0700
> Subject: Re: Yahoo Pig - Some updates
> From: tdunning@veoh.com
> To: pig-dev@incubator.apache.org; pig-user@incubator.apache.org; gates@yahoo-inc.com
>

> On 10/30/07 7:11 PM, "edward yoon"  wrote:
>
>> Well then, What do you think about hbase storage option for Pig?
>
> I think that is a grand idea. Pig could provide high throughput batch
> analysis of hbase databases.
>
>> If you're positive about hbase storage option,
>> Pig will manipulate the hbase databases and the ultimate goal of hbase shell
>> and pig could be the same (as for SQL-related discussions, we should leave it
>> on the side.)
>
> The ultimate goals are clearly relatively similar. I also shouldn't be
> discouraging you from trying to do anything you would find interesting.
>
> I just think that it would slow down experimentation on both sides (hbase
> and pig) if they were tied too closely together at an early stage.
>
> Hbase shell is, from what I can see, quite a hot bed of experimentation with
> syntax and interface. Pig is all about how to express map-reduce
> computations easily and efficiently. In the short run, those cultures
> should not be forced to live by each others assumptions.

Climb to the top of the charts!  Play Star Shuffle:  the word scramble challenge with star
power.