phoenix-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Jacoby <gjac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] PHOENIX-4863: Setup Travis-CI & CodeCoverage
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2019 18:07:11 GMT
Andrew,

If the vote was inappropriate, my apologies -- it was my offline suggestion
to Priyank to call one when he felt he was ready to proceed. There had been
a general discussion on the list on the matter about a month ago that was
generally supportive of the idea, but was preliminary and didn't seem broad
enough for a big change to the development pipeline. I didn't want the
discussion to take place on a JIRA or PR that many might miss.

I suggested a vote as a forcing function to have a broader discussion that
might not happen otherwise -- which is what happened.

If there was a better approach more in keeping with the Apache Way, please
let me know either here (maybe in a different thread) or offline. :-)

Geoffrey

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 10:50 AM Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org> wrote:

> Point of order Apache communities generally do not vote to achieve
> consensus. That should be a last resort. Please do not vote to make these
> kinds of decisions.
>
> On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 12:15 AM Priyank Porwal <priyankporwal@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > [Converting this thread to a community vote]
> >
> > I'd like to start Travis-CI and CodeCov integration after getting some
> > success with both on a fork in my personal account. Checkout -
> > https://github.com/priyankporwal/phoenix/pull/3
> >
> > Things to note:
> > 1. TravisCI kicked-off as soon as the PR is created and/or new commits
> are
> > pushed. No additional developer action is necessary.
> > 2. Once completed, code-coverage report is uploaded to CodeCov which
> > produced a nice color-coded graph of different folders/files. Detailed
> > reports linked from the PR as well.
> > 3. Confirmed that compilation and test failures resulted in CI flagging
> the
> > PR.
> > 4. Currently, TravisCI only runs unit-tests. "mvn verify" takes too long
> > for it to be included in Travis' scipt stage (max allowed time per job is
> > 50 mins) - I made several attempts to break up the tests into several
> jobs,
> > but lack of maven skills prevented me from achieving that goal.
> > 5. Repo-admin permissions only needed to start this integration
> (one-time)
> > and thereafter, incremental improvements can be made via any regular PR.
> > Perhaps folks with maven expertise can get to it sooner.
> >
> > Please vote on proceeding with the integration with TravisCI and CodeCov.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Priyank
> >

> > On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 2:54 PM Thomas D'Silva
> > <tdsilva@salesforce.com.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > > I assume we want to run all the ITs. Whevenver a PR is created Travis
> CI
> > > will automatically runs all the tests
> > > and post the results to the PR.

> > > would