phoenix-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Vincent Poon <vincentp...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Maintaining the Site in Git Instead of SVN
Date Mon, 03 Jun 2019 17:53:49 GMT
I think the confusion here is stemming from two different things:
1)  Moving docs from SVN to git (potentially its own repo)
2) Moving docs into the same apache/phoenix repo as the source code.

I think we should do #1, and not #2, which avoids the concerns Thomas and
James have.

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 10:46 AM James Taylor <jamestaylor@apache.org> wrote:

> The problem with committing docs with code is that the release happens much
> later. We’ve always tried to get the doc changes pushed out before the
> release is cut.
>
> On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 9:30 AM William Shen <willshen@marinsoftware.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Thomas, that makes sense now. thanks for explaining. didnt catch that the
> > first time. would it make sense to you guys that we publish the website
> > from master, or should we publish from say the latest of 4.x?
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 9:11 AM Thomas D'Silva
> > <tdsilva@salesforce.com.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > > William, I was referring to your comment about ensuring doc changes are
> > > checked in with code changes.
> > > I assume you meant this meant that the doc change would go in to the
> same
> > > pull request as the code change?
> > > But I guess since we currently mostly commit patches to all branches
> this
> > > should be fine. We could have the website
> > > module in one of the branches.
> > >
> > > On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 10:53 PM William Shen <
> willshen@marinsoftware.com
> > >
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > > > I think we do need to come up with a strategy on how to maintain
> > website
> > > > documentation given that we have several versions that may
> potentially
> > > > conflict in documentation at times. Thomas, is this your main
> concern?
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Josh - Would love to help drive it, though I’m not sure if i have all
> > the
> > > > right access to do so.
> > > > Seems like we would need to:
> > > > - commit the svn site directory into git master (I can create a patch
> > but
> > > > would need help committing this)
> > > > - file an infra ticket to migrate the website, and enable git-pubsub
> > > > (though I’m totally speak out of my knowledge here...)
> > > >
> > > > On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 11:42 AM Josh Elser <josh.elser@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > Yeah, not sure I get your concern, Thomas. We only have one
> website.
> > > > >
> > > > > From the ASF Infra side, svn-pubsub (what deploys our code on SVN
> > > > > check-in) works the same as git-pubsub. It should just be a request
> > to
> > > > > Infra to migrate the website from SVN to Git and then enable
> > > > > git-pubsub.
> > > > >
> > > > > No concerns in doing this from me. Even better if you'd like to
> drive
> > > > > it, William ;)
> > > > >
> > > > > On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 2:24 PM William Shen <
> > > willshen@marinsoftware.com
> > > > >
> > > > > wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Thomas,
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Which release line do we currently base our documentation on?
Do
> > you
> > > > > think
> > > > > > it makes sense to bring the site source into master, and always
> > > update
> > > > > the
> > > > > > site from master?
> > > > > >
> > > > > > - Will
> > > > > >
> > > > > > On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 8:46 PM Thomas D'Silva
> > > > > > <tdsilva@salesforce.com.invalid> wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > > Currently this would not be easy to do since we have multiple
> > > > > branches. If
> > > > > > > we decide to
> > > > > > > implement Lars' proposal to have a single branch and a
module
> per
> > > > > supported
> > > > > > > HBase version
> > > > > > > then we could have a module for the website as well.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 7:03 PM swaroopa kadam <
> > > > > swaroopa.kadam07@gmail.com
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > wrote:
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > Huge +1!
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 4:38 PM William Shen <
> > > > > willshen@marinsoftware.com
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > wrote:
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > > Hi all,
> > > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > > Currently, the Phoenix site is maintained in
and built from
> > SVN
> > > > > > > > > <https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/phoenix/site>.
Not sure
> > what
> > > > > level
> > > > > > > of
> > > > > > > > > work it would require, but does it make sense
to move the
> > > source
> > > > > from
> > > > > > > svn
> > > > > > > > > to git, so contribution to the website can follow
the same
> > > > JIRA/git
> > > > > > > > > workflow as the rest of the project? It could
also make
> sure
> > > > > changes to
> > > > > > > > > Phoenix code are checked in with corresponding
> documentation
> > > > > changes
> > > > > > > when
> > > > > > > > > needed.
> > > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > > - Will
> > > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > --
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > Swaroopa Kadam
> > > > > > > > [image: https://]about.me/swaroopa_kadam
> > > > > > > > <
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
> https://about.me/swaroopa_kadam?promo=email_sig&utm_source=product&utm_medium=email_sig&utm_campaign=gmail_api
> > > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message