phoenix-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Next Phoenix 5.x release (was "Board report due in ~1 week")
Date Thu, 09 May 2019 16:21:56 GMT
After working on trying to make Phoenix compatible with >=HBase 2.0.4,
I'm wondering if it would just be good to get 5.0.1 out the door and try
to fix HBase compat in a 5.1.0, acknowledging that we don't work with
the newer 2.0.x HBase versions (really, anything that contains
HBASE-21401[1]).

I feel like it's much less risky to just acknowledge that we're limited
in target HBase version for a bug-fix release.

What do folks think? That would lessen the burden on you, Jaanai.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-21401

On 5/1/19 5:35 PM, Josh Elser wrote:
> I think it would be better to figure out if there is anything currently
> on master that _shouldn't_ be included in a 5.0.1. My guess would be
> "no". It feels like branching for the sake of branching to keep 5.0.1
> and 5.1.0 distinct.
>
> On 5/1/19 12:38 AM, Thomas D'Silva wrote:> Should we use 2.0.5 ( the
> latest released HBase version )? If PHOENIX-5250
>  > <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PHOENIX-5250>  is a blocker we
> will
>  > need to fix it before we can release 5.0.1 (or 5.1).
>  >
>  > These are the list of bugs that have a fix version of 5.1 :
>  >
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20PHOENIX%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%205.1.0%20AND%20issuetype%20%20%3D%20Bug

>  > We should figure out which of these we want to cherrypick for the 5.0.1
>  > release.
>
> On 4/30/19 10:39 AM, Josh Elser wrote:
>> Let's leave the other thread for the board report, please. I've
>> changed the subject as such.
>>
>> Thanks for volunteering to be RM.
>>
>> I'm of the opinion that we should just update to the latest HBase
>> 2.0.x line. The compatibility assertions from HBase should make this a
>> no-op for us to change versions. There are arguments, however, in both
>> ways that we should use the earliest, non-breaking version of HBase.
>>
>> As the RM, it is your prerogative to tell everyone else how you are
>> tracking it :). Figure out what fixVersion you're using on Jira, and
>> then either manage the list of open issues in there yourself, or push
>> out issues and have folks put issues back in which they feel must be
>> included.
>>
>> Since this is your first time, I would prioritize an rc0 ASAP so that
>> you can get comfortable with the process (even if we know that there
>> are other fixes which must be made before the final release).
>>
>> On 4/30/19 2:34 AM, Jaanai Zhang wrote:
>>> I will try doing release 5.0.1. Tow things need to confirm:
>>>
>>> 1.  According to the thread[1],  a new Phoenix 5.0.1 will support HBase
>>> 2.0.2, right? As far as I know, some improvements of HBase 2.0.2 will