phoenix-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject NoSQL day summary
Date Fri, 24 May 2019 20:24:50 GMT
(pardon the cross-post -- please reply-list unless there's a good reason
to cross-post some more)

Hi,

While NoSQL day is fresh in my head, I wanted to share some general
information about the event this past Tuesday.

We got started around 9:30 AM in D.C., yours truly welcoming everyone,
followed by a fellow from Intel talking about some hardware they have
coming and the work that Ram and Anoop have been doing about leveraging
it in HBase (sadly, we didn't have them in person!). Two gents from
Microsoft Azure got on stage to talk about Azure and the HBase and
Phoenix support on HDInsight.

 From there, we broke into two rooms, each of which held seven talks. We
had lots of familiar faces, but also had some new faces (even for me!).
After 5pm, we broke out some drinks and snacks and had a candid
Q&A/Panel session with a spattering of folks from each community. The
audience gave us some questions to ask them, but I also tried to
interject a few doozies to make them sweat.

All said and done, we had about 170 individuals registered, about 140
folks showed up, and we had roughly 110 of them remaining by the end of
the day. We were quite happy with these numbers as the usual percentages
for attendees to registrants is 20-30% lower than this.

Talks were recorded with their slide presentation. Editing/processing on
these will take some time -- I'd expect a month before I'm able to get
these posted on YouTube for everyone (but rest assured that it will happen).

All attendees should be receiving a survey to give us feedback about the
event, but I'd also encourage anyone else to send me feedback directly
that doesn't want to use the form. The hope is that we can keep this
tradition going next year, but it's always a struggle. I can say that we
could not have done this without the sponsorship of Bloomberg, Intel,
Microsoft, Salesforce (and, of course, Cloudera). Thank you all very much.

- Josh