phoenix-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Boado <pedro.bo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Drop support for java 1.7 on the 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4 branches
Date Sat, 01 Dec 2018 14:46:26 GMT
Well I don't count with a lot more 4.x releases - maybe I'm wrong-headed .
For master branch and cdh6 we'd be looking at spark 2.x

Part of the success of a project is about version stability. Not a lot of
corporate projects can afford keep upgrading to the latest versions - think
about it, you're in production, with a few thousand lines code running
spark 1.6 ... And for upgrading to 4.14 you need to review all of this
spark code -and maybe recompile to scala 2.11 btw- . It doesn't make sense.
Until now 4.x was pretty stable and in my opinion it should've never been
migrated to spark 2 and java 8. Minor versions should keep certain
stability in terms of dependencies.

All these changes should've come with phoenix 5. But you're right it needs
a sensible solution as 4.14.1 is already out and compiled with java8.