phoenix-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Vincent Poon <vincent.poon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Next 5.x release?
Date Thu, 27 Sep 2018 04:16:23 GMT
You're right, Josh, I was mistaken, there was indeed a 5.0.0 release.  But
I meant the same as your last bit - branch off 5.0.0 and only put in HBase
2.0.2 and critical fixes for 5.0.1.

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 6:40 PM Josh Elser <elserj@apache.org> wrote:

> No, Vincent, that is wrong. There *was* a 5.0.0-alpha release. Then,
> there was a 5.0.0 release (not called alpha).
>
> To Thomas' original question: I don't think we need to keep 4.15 in
> lock-step with 5.x, but if 5.x isn't ready for release for the same
> reason 4.15 is not ready for release, then we should hold off on another
> 5.x (from the master branch).
>
> In a similar vein, we could also branch off of the 5.0.0 release and
> cherry-pick back critical changes to make a proper 5.0.1 if a 5.1.0 is
> still a ways off (as above)
>
> On 9/26/18 6:18 PM, Vincent Poon wrote:
> > The 5.0.0 release apparently was an 'alpha'.  I think we should do a
> 5.0.1
> > which can work with HBase 2.0.2 and remove the 'alpha'.
> > 5.0 has feature parity with 4.14.
> > 5.1 would have feature parity with 4.15, the main addition being
> splittable
> > syscat
> >
> > On a sidenote, I've been planning a 4.14.1 release but was waiting for
> the
> > CDH builds.  It looks like CDH branches are no longer being maintained
> so I
> > think I can just move forward with that. (btw we should clean those up)
> >
> > If noone else is doing it, I can try doing the 5.0.1 release
> concurrently.
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 3:01 PM Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >
> >> If possible please continue to release for one or more of the HBase 1.x
> >> code lines. I have a feeling the HBase 1.xes will be in production for a
> >> long time yet.
> >>
> >> On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 11:42 AM Thomas D'Silva <tdsilva@salesforce.com
> >
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >>> Would we also release 4.15, or just a new 5.x release to support HBase
> >>> 2.0.1/2.0.2 ? PHOENIX-3534 has a few follow-up JIRAs that are needed
> for
> >>> splittable system catalog.
> >>>
> >>> On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 7:56 PM, Josh Elser <elserj@apache.org> wrote:
> >>>
> >>>> On the user@phoenix list, Francis pointed out how Phoenix 5.0.0 only
> >>>> works with HBase 2.0.0 and not 2.0.1 or 2.0.2. This is pretty bad
> given
> >>> the
> >>>> big fixes that went in since 2.0.0.
> >>>>
> >>>> What do folks think about a new 5.x release? Is it worthwhile to bring
> >>>> back a reduced set of commits and make a 5.0.1? Or just release a
> 5.1.0
> >>> and
> >>>> ask people to move to that instead?
> >>>>
> >>>> - Josh
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best regards,
> >> Andrew
> >>
> >> Words like orphans lost among the crosstalk, meaning torn from truth's
> >> decrepit hands
> >>     - A23, Crosstalk
> >>
> >
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message