phoenix-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move branches 4.x-HBase-1.2, 4.x-HBase-1.3 and 4.x-HBase-1.4 to JDK 8
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2018 23:09:16 GMT
See http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#hbase.versioning. Dependency
Compatibility, required for minor and patch releases, includes:

*An upgrade of HBase will not require an incompatible upgrade of the Java
runtime.*

If we compile HBase with Java 8 or up and then ship the binaries to a
deployment environment based on a Java 7 JRE, then there are linkage errors
in the java.util.concurrent package and HBase won't start. Our
compatibility guidelines as stated require us to not break existing Java
runtimes. For branch-1 and release branches derived from it we've stated
the minimum JRE version is 7. So unfortunately until the end of life of
branch-1 and any release branches derived from it the release managers must
build binary convenience artifacts with 7u80, or a later compiler with
-source 1.7 and boot classpath set to the 7u80 JRE libraries, effectively
the same thing.

Phoenix isn't necessarily subject to this limitation, however. T
his is an issue for binary compatibility artifacts only. The HBase project
will continue to provide them, but you can opt to stop distributing them.
If you decide to stop building and distributing binaries, as long as your
sources remain Java 7 compatible then whatever JDKs your contributors and
committers utilize will be irrelevant.

--
Best regards,
Andrew