phoenix-dev mailing list archives

From ashish singhi <ashish.sin...@huawei.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] First hbase-2.0.0-alpha-3 Release Candidate is available
Date Mon, 18 Sep 2017 11:22:08 GMT
+1(non-binding)

Built tar from source code
Verified few commands on shell and other few from Java API, all looks ok
Verified audit logs
Verified HBase replication on a single node cluster, checked metrics
Checked zk_dump and web UI, looks ok

Regards,
Ashish

-----Original Message-----
From: saint.ack@gmail.com [mailto:saint.ack@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Stack
Sent: 15 September 2017 23:33
To: HBase Dev List <dev@hbase.apache.org>
Cc: dev@phoenix.apache.org
Subject: [VOTE] First hbase-2.0.0-alpha-3 Release Candidate is available

The first release candidate for HBase 2.0.0-alpha-3 is up at:

  https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/hbase/hbase-2.0.0-alpha-3RC0/

Maven artifacts are available from a staging directory here:

  https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehbase-1175

All was signed with my key at y 8ACC93D2 <http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x9816C7FC8ACC93D2>

I tagged the RC as
2.0.0-alpha-3RC0.2 (a5c8461ca87d6324f16ffd126b765146fdd5315a)

hbase-2.0.0-alpha-3 is our third alpha release on our march toward an hbase-2.0.0. It includes
all that was in previous alphas (new assignment manager, offheap read/write path, in-memory
compactions, etc.), but had a focus on polishing our public API: old API that had been deprecated
since
hbase-1.0.0 or before was purged and new API was added with sympathetic deprecation of the
previous. Along the Admin plane, incompatible changes were unavoidable; you will not be able
to administer a hbase2 cluster using an hbase1 client (see adjacent "[DISCUSS] hbase-2.0.0
compatibility expectations" thread for discussion and see [1] for current list of Incompatibles).

What is here will be our public API for 2.0.0 unless we get pushback from our gracious downstreamers.
Please try it out. Shout now if you find a problem so we can fix it before we get to beta.

Alpha-3 does not have the final version of our Coprocessor API. Finishing the Coprocessor
API for hbase-2.0.0 is the topic of our last planned alpha, 2.0.0-alpha-4. The Coprocessor
API changes pretty radically in hbase-2.0.0 (though Coprocessor Endpoints will continue to
work across an upgrade). See [2] for why and why it was unavoidable. Input now from Coprocessor
API users before alpha-4 would be especially effective (I've cc'd our Phoenix brothers and
sisters toward this end).

hbase-2.0.0-alpha-3RC0 is a rough cut ('alpha'), not-for-production preview of what hbase-2.0.0
will look like. It is meant for devs and downstreamers to test drive and flag us early if
we messed up anything ahead of our rolling GAs.

The list of features addressed in 2.0.0 so far can be found here [3]. There are about 2700+.
The list of ~500 fixes in 2.0.0 exclusively can be found here [3].

I've updated our overview doc. on the state of 2.0.0 [6] but JIRA 2.0.0 label [5] has undergone
extensive weeding and presents a fairly good picture on what is yet to do before we 2.0.0.
Check it out.

Please take it for a spin and vote on whether it ok to put out as our first alpha (bar is
low for an 'alpha'). Let the VOTE be open for 72 hours
(Sunday)

Thanks,
St.Ack

1. Current list of Incompatibles: