phoenix-dev mailing list archives

From "rajeshbabu@apache.org" <chrajeshbab...@gmail.com>
Subject Regarding PHOENIX-1734
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2016 15:27:12 GMT
Hi Team,

As you know prior to PHOENIX-1734 we are storing all  local index data in
separate table and colocate data and index regions. To ensure proper
colocation we need customer balancer, custom split and merge logic still
these will not ensure 100% colocation. That's why we started working
PHOENIX-1734 to store local index data in separate column families in the
same table to ensure 100% colocation.

As part of PHOENIX-1734 we need to write local index udpates to same region
in preBatchMutate. When I am working with master branch(The HBase version
is 1.2.x) it went smooth and I continued the development and ensure new
implementation of local index works properly and committed the patch to
master branch as well.

But when I started porting it to other branches(HBase versions less than
1.2) I realized that write to same region is in preBatchMutate is not
allowed by HBase versions less than 1.2. There is a dependency of
HBASE-15600 to make the new local index implementation work properly for
versions less than 1.2. So I am not able to port it to other branches. I
will complete it once the next HBase point releases have HBASE-15600.

Now code in master branch is not in sync with other branches but the local
indexing feature is much more stable in master branch after PHOENIX-1734 so
I think it would be better to have PHOENIX-1734 in master branch even
porting it to other branches might delay till upcoming HBase releases
available.

Wdyt?

Thanks,
Rajeshbabu.