phoenix-dev mailing list archives

From Sergey Soldatov <sergeysolda...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Jenkins build failures?
Date Wed, 18 May 2016 06:21:44 GMT
Getting back to the failures with OOM/unable to create a native thread.
Those files have around 100 tests inside each that are running on top of
the phoenix. In total they generate over 2500 scans. (system.catalog,
sequences and regular scans over table).  The problem that on HBase side
all scans are going through the ThreadPoolExecutor generated in HTable.
Which is using SynchronousQueue as the queue. As from the javadoc for
ThreadPoolExecutor:

*Direct handoffs. A good default choice for a work queue is a
SynchronousQueue that hands off tasks to threads without otherwise holding
them. Here, an attempt to queue a task will fail if no threads are
immediately available to run it, so a new thread will be constructed. This
policy avoids lockups when handling sets of requests that might have
internal dependencies. Direct handoffs generally require unbounded
maximumPoolSizes to avoid rejection of new submitted tasks. This in turn
admits the possibility of unbounded thread growth when commands continue to
arrive on average faster than they can be processed.*

And actually we hit exactly last  case. But still there isl a question.
Since all those tests all passing correctly and the scans are completed
during execution (I checked that) it's not clear why all those threads are
still alive. If someone has a suggestion why it could happen it will be
interesting to listen. Otherwise I will dig deeper a bit later.  Possible
also it's worth to change the queue in HBase to something less aggressive
in terms of thread creation.

Thanks,
Sergey

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 8:24 AM, James Taylor <jamestaylor@apache.org> wrote:

> Looks like all Jenkins builds are failing, but it seems environmental? Do
> we need to exclude some particular kind of host(s)?
>
> On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 5:25 PM, James Taylor <jamestaylor@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Thanks, Sergey!
> >
> > On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 5:22 PM, Sergey Soldatov <
> sergeysoldatov@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> James,
> >> Ah, didn't notice that timeouts are not shown in the final report as
> >> failures. It seems that the build is using JDK 1.7 and test run OOM
> >> with PermGen space. Fixed in PHOENIX-2879
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Sergey

> >> sergeysoldatov@gmail.com>

> jamestaylor@apache.org>
> >> test.
> Jenkins
> build
> >> >> >

> org.apache.phoenix.end2end.index.ReadOnlyIndexFailureIT.testWriteFailureReadOnlyIndex

> >> jamestaylor@apache.org>

> standard
> >> culprits)
> >> for me
> someone

> ndimiduk@gmail.com>

> Phoenix

IT process
> >> and
> >> all
> >> reliably

> >> sergeysoldatov@gmail.com>

> "unable
> 10
> >> table
Does anybody
> >> know

with commons-io 2.1
> >> was
> flume-ng

it definitely means
> >> that
> >> while

> >> josh.elser@gmail.com

pools
> >> its

> org.apache.phoenix.schema.NewerTableAlreadyExistsException:
> >> >> >>> > >> >

> org.apache.phoenix.end2end.UpsertValuesIT.testBatchedUpsert(UpsertValuesIT.java:476)

different tests (I
> think
thing)

build host is just

INFO:
331350016, 0)
> failed;
the Java Runtime
> >> Environment
failed to allocate

> /home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/workspace/Phoenix-master/phoenix-core/hs_err_pid26454.log
INFO:
273678336, 0)
> failed;

targets' marked build
> as

the host "ubuntu-us1".
> >> Let
and see if
> that

some Flume tests

1, Skipped: 0, Time
> >> elapsed:
 Time elapsed:
> 0.004
> >> sec
Failed to
> >> save
to save in any
> >> storage

1, Skipped: 0, Time
> >> elapsed:
 Time
> >> elapsed:
Failed to
> >> save
to save in any
> >> storage

means at a glance.

> [...]
> >> >> >>> > >> >

> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.MasterRpcServices.regionServerStartup(MasterRpcServices.java:318)
> >> >> >>> > >> >

> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.protobuf.generated.RegionServerStatusProtos$RegionServerStatusService$2.callBlockingMethod(RegionServerStatusProtos.java:8615)
> >> >> >>> > >>
> >> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcServer.call(RpcServer.java:2117)

> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.AbstractRpcClient.callBlockingMethod(AbstractRpcClient.java:227)
> >> >> >>> > >> >

> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.AbstractRpcClient$BlockingRpcChannelImplementation.callBlockingMethod(AbstractRpcClient.java:318)
> >> >> >>> > >> >

> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.protobuf.generated.RegionServerStatusProtos$RegionServerStatusService$BlockingStub.regionServerStartup(RegionServerStatusProtos.java:8982)
> >> >> >>> > >> >

> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.reportForDuty(HRegionServer.java:2269)
> >> >> >>> > >> >

> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.run(HRegionServer.java:893)
> >> >> >>> > >> >

> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.MiniHBaseCluster$MiniHBaseClusterRegionServer.runRegionServer(MiniHBaseCluster.java:156)
> >> >> >>> > >> >

> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.MiniHBaseCluster$MiniHBaseClusterRegionServer.access$000(MiniHBaseCluster.java:108)
> >> >> >>> > >> >

> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.MiniHBaseCluster$MiniHBaseClusterRegionServer$1.run(MiniHBaseCluster.java:140)
> >> java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native
> >> javax.security.auth.Subject.doAs(Subject.java:356)
> >> >> >>> > >> >

> org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1637)
> >> >> >>> > >> >

> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.security.User$SecureHadoopUser.runAs(User.java:307)
> >> >> >>> > >> >

> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.MiniHBaseCluster$MiniHBaseClusterRegionServer.run(MiniHBaseCluster.java:138)
> >> >> >>> > >> >

> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RemoteWithExtrasException(org.apache.hadoop.hbase.DoNotRetryIOException):
> >> >> >>> > >> >

> java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap.keySet()Ljava/util/concurrent/ConcurrentHashMap$KeySetView;
> >> >> >>> > >>
> >> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcServer.call(RpcServer.java:2156)
> >> >> >>> > >>
> >> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.CallRunner.run(CallRunner.java:104)
> >> >> >>> > >> >

> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcExecutor.consumerLoop(RpcExecutor.java:133)
> >> >> >>> > >> >

> >> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcExecutor$1.run(RpcExecutor.java:108)
> >> >> >>> > >> >

> java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap.keySet()Ljava/util/concurrent/ConcurrentHashMap$KeySetView;
> >> >> >>> > >> >

> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.ServerManager.findServerWithSameHostnamePortWithLock(ServerManager.java:432)
> >> >> >>> > >> >

> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.ServerManager.checkAndRecordNewServer(ServerManager.java:346)
> >> >> >>> > >> >

> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.ServerManager.regionServerStartup(ServerManager.java:264)
> >> >> >>> > >> >

> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.MasterRpcServices.regionServerStartup(MasterRpcServices.java:318)
> >> >> >>> > >> >

> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.protobuf.generated.RegionServerStatusProtos$RegionServerStatusService$2.callBlockingMethod(RegionServerStatusProtos.java:8615)
> >> >> >>> > >>
> >> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcServer.call(RpcServer.java:2117)

> >> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl.call(RpcClientImpl.java:1235)
> >> >> >>> > >> >

> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.AbstractRpcClient.callBlockingMethod(AbstractRpcClient.java:217)

report into the
> >> hmaster).
(ubuntu-[3,4,6]). I
> >> had