perl-test-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: test framework and latest Fedora
Date Sun, 23 Jan 2011 18:52:07 GMT

On Jan 23, 2011, at 1:46 PM, Fred Moyer wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 1:29 AM, Joe Orton <jorton@redhat.com> wrote:
>> CC'ing test-dev@.
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 12:00:41PM -0500, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>> On the latest Fedora, -times=X no longer works:
>>>
>>> t/modules/rewrite.t .. ok
>>> t/modules/rewrite.t .. ok
>>> You already have a parser for (t/modules/rewrite.t). Perhaps you have run the
same test twice. at /usr/share/perl5/TAP/Harness.pm line 521

>>> CPAN itself is up to date... or is that the problem?
>
> That looks like the problem.  When TAP/Parser/Aggregator.pm was added
> in March 2007, it croaked if you tried to reuse the test description.
>
> As the primary Apache-Test maintainer right now, I am tempted to
> deprecate this feature in favor of making the codebase simple and
> easier to maintain in the long run.  Updating this feature to work
> with TAP-Harness is an unknown amount of work.  And running tests
> multiple times is more fitting of something like t/SMOKE
> (Apache::TestSmoke) rather than t/TEST.  I can get in there and muck
> with the internals of Apache::TestRun (and A-TR-PHP, Perl, etc) to
> make it behave properly, but my tuits are better spent on insuring
> quality in other parts of this module, and also releasing mod_perl
> 2.0.5.
>
> I welcome feedback here on desired approaches.  What is 'times=' being
> used for?  Can you tryout t/SMOKE instead?

I'll try SMOKE... I basically use times simply to run the same
test over and over. For example, when people said that the proxy
changes caused the rewrite tests to occasionally fail, a

	t/TEST -times=100 t/modules/rewrite

was a good way to try to recreate that...